Friday, January 13, 2017

Baked Beans


These are a family favorite that has been passed down from generation to generation (they just happen to be IC friendly). I always get compliments on them and everyone wants the recipe.
I give it: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★





Baked Beans

Ingredients:

8 pieces of bacon (can be omitted)
1 box (1 pound) of dark brown sugar
2 (28 oz.) cans of Bush’s Baked Beans Original or Onion (if tolerated)
  (they have NO tomato products in them)

*Check in beans for other ingredients that you may not tolerate in small quantities.


chickennugget wrote Bush’s Baked Beans and was told by the company that all their beans do contain onion powder (of course the onion contains onions) and that the following beans
DO NOT contain tomatoes or any tomato products:

Original Baked Beans
Baked Beans with Onion
Boston Recipe Baked Beans
Country Style Baked Beans
Honey Baked Beans
Maple Cured Bacon Baked Beans
Honey Baked Beans


Directions:

1. Cut up 8 pieces of bacon in 2 inch strips and fry until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.

2. In a pot, combine beans, bacon, and the whole box (yes, the whole box) of brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Turn to low and simmer until beans are really thick. Stir occasionally. I judge it to be done if my wooden spoon can almost stand up in it.

*You can make this the day before and bring it anywhere the next day in a crock pot to keep the beans warm. I just warm up the beans a little in the microwave and put it in a crock pot on low.




4 comments:

  1. Does it have vinegar and mustard in the veggie version? I know that's an issue for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi- Yes, they do have vinegar and mustard which is why I put *Check in beans for other ingredients that you may not tolerate in small quantities.

    I cannot tolerate vinegar or mustard, but I can eat these beans with no problems. I've eaten this several times and had no issues. I guess the vinegar and mustard are in very small quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe all that brown sugar in the recipe allows me to tolerate the vinegar and mustard? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the veggie one has tomato paste in it. Maybe there is another Bush's Baked Beans that has no tomato products.

    ReplyDelete