Wednesday, May 13, 2026

Grandma's Pound Cake


The Philadelphia Cream Cheese adds flavor and texture to this old fashioned dessert! From kraftheinz.com.




Grandma's Pound Cake


Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 pkg (8 oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6 eggs


Directions:

Step 1: Heat oven to 350ºF.

Step 2: Mix flour and baking powder; set aside. Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each until blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended.

Step 3: Pour into 12-cup fluted tube or 10-inch tube pan sprayed with cooking spray.

Step 4: Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 min. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan. Cool cake completely.


2 comments:

  1. So this is definitely one of the desserts I miss. I can’t tolerate old fashion pound cake because of the high egg-yolk content and the high concentration of sugar. So I was looking at this recipe that Ms Graces has posted. So I got curious and asked AI how to make a more IC friendlier pound cake, w/out egg yolks and less sugar. And I got an exciting answer that it’s possible and I’m going to give it a try this weekend.

    Here’s what AI suggested:

    To make a good pound cake w/out egg yolks and with less sugar, use egg whites for structure, add extra butter or sour cream for moisture, boost flavor with vanilla & even a little citrus ZEST to help make up for the less sweetness & richness.

    Key Changes for Success in making an IC Friendlier Pound cake:

    Eggs:
    Use two egg whites for every whole egg removed, keep the cake light.

    Fat: Keep the butter amount high or add yogurt, cream cheese, or sour cream to replace the rich feel of egg yolks. (I’m going to tweak the recipe and add an additional tbsps of cream cheese more, for each egg yolk I have to remove; a total of 6 tbsp)

    Sugar:
    Reduce sugar by up to one-fourth safely, but do not cut it any more or the cake will turn dry and dense.

    Flavor:
    Add extra vanilla extract, almond extract, or lemon ZEST to bring back a rich taste.

    Baking Steps:
    Beat the softened butter and sugar that’s been cut back by 1/4 until soft and fluffy.

    Add egg whites one at a time & mix well after each.

    Stir in extra flavorings and dairy moisture like sour cream (I can tolerate full fat sour cream ok or I think I might replace it with Greek yogurt instead.

    Fold in the flour gently until just combined.

    Bake at 325°F (165°C) until a toothpick comes out clean.

    Oh I hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job adapting this recipe to fit your needs! I hope the cake comes out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete